I was once a conservative, but now find myself more often than not in between the two extremes of most issues. This blog is dedicated to those who live in the tension critical thought can bring. I am the pastor of Harmony Baptist Church in Morton Valley, Texas, and am currently attending Seminary at the Logsdon Theological Seminary at Hardin-Simmons University.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Countdown

Four weeks and six days.

That's how long it is until my wedding. I'll soon begin counting down the weeks, days and hours. When we hit the one week mark, I'll begin counting down by days, hours and minutes, and even closer, I'll count by the second.

This will annoy many people.

I don't care.

The only other time in my life I counted down to something so precisely was when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out. Looking back, it was kind of silly to be so excited about a movie. In no way is being this excited about my wedding silly.

I love Norma, and can't wait to spend the rest of my life together with her. No doubt our marriage will change many things in my life. In fact, Norma bought shoes for me the other day without me being there. She called to check on my shoe size and preferred style, then bought me a pair of brown oxfords. This, more than anything else, brought home to me the fact that my life is changing drastically. And do you know what? I'm ok with that.

I then got to thinking about how much our life changes when we encounter God. For some, we were always in church, and just gave ourselves to God as a natural part of growing up. This is not unlike realizing you love an old friend. For others, the encounter with God was later in life, and produced a more drastic change. Some people also meet their significant other later in life.

Coming to God is like falling in love, everybody does it differently, but as long as you get to the place where love is, the way you get there is contingent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous hiari said...

what do you do when the great filling you get when you first fall in love with God loses it's power. and you feel like God has moved.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 11:51:00 AM

 
Blogger Tanktimus said...

Loving God, like loving a spouse, is not based on emotion. Those warm fuzzy feelings that often come with a new love are a result of love, not love itself. Love is a choice, a devotion to a person, a decision to consider someone else as more important than yourself.

If we base our relationship with God on emotions, we are dooming ourselves to failure. We need to learn to rely on God in faith, that means beleiving in and trusting God even when God feels distant. Nowhere in the Bible are we told that devotion to God will be easy, somtimes we will have to choose to follow God when it feels like God no longer cares.

Relying on good feelings is idolatry of the emotions, it is focusing on what we get out of serving God. Instead, we should devote ourselves to serving God and others.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:14:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home